#90s

Throwback Thursday: Smells like Teen Spirit

9:09 AM

When I think of 90's grunge, I get flashbacks to flannel shirts, Kurt Cobain and messy hair.  The fun part about this look is that there are a lot of different ways to wear this and it can still be relevant today.
My favorite thing about this look is that it incorporates colors that I still wear on a daily basis.  The main colors in this look are brown, black eyeliner and a darker lip.  Here's one of my favorite songs from this era, to help get the mood started...



For this look, I just washed my hair and let it dry naturally...

Me giving my "totally don't care" face...haha.
1. Start by evening out skin tone (foundation Mary Kay-Beige)

2. Sweep on some pressed powder to soak up any shine (Ulta pressed powder)

3. Fill in brows with brown eyeshadow (Naked 2 Pallette in Tease)

4. Use bronzer to define cheek bones and pinkish blush on the apples of your cheeks

5. Take a white eye shadow (Urban Decay in Zephyr) and brush it on from lash line to eyebrow

6. Using a medium colored brown sweep on from lash line to crease (Urban Decay in Toasted)

7. In the crease sweep on a darker brown eyeshadow (Urban Decay in Smog)

8.  Pile on the eyeshadow...in this look the eyeshadow is a little heavy, so when you think you are done, put on more!

9. Use black liner to define your lashline and black mascara to define lashes.

10. Finish this look with a reddish brown lipstick and a bada** attitude! :)

I have to be honest about this look, coming from someone that in the early nineties my favorite color was the "pink that hurts your eyes" it was hard for me to really remember what the grunge look was all about.  It is a fun look, but not something that I would recommend for everyday wear. I love the idea behind grunge though, the point is to wear what you want with confidence and have fun!



What are some of your favorite looks from the 90's grunge era? Also, I should give a shout out to one of our readers, Michelle Leonard for her idea for this look! Thanks, Michelle!



5 comments

  1. Grunge was fun because the idea was that you just didn't give a s--t what anyone thought about how you looked. And the more ratty your jeans got, the better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! The hardest part was to take a picture with me not smiling! Ha Ha!

      Delete
  2. You are so good at makeup! I am just not very good at experimenting with different looks, but I want to get better at it!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually wore an outfit almost identical to the one I commented on...Gotta love the lacy white tops! :)

      Delete

MAUREEN



Maureen is a long time lover of beauty, fashion and all things girlie. She is lucky to have a bestie that loves beauty and silliness as much as she does! She is a licensed esthetician/makeup artist and loves it. All around, Maureen has a great life full of friends and family. Find Maureen on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.

DANIELLE



Danielle has a nail polish obsession, and its a bit out of control. She doesn't always have the cash to fund her addiction, so she's become an expert on thrifty nail tricks! She's lucky to have Maureen, her very best friend since kindergarten, and is engaged to her boyfriend of 7 years. Connect with Danielle on Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler.