@avoninsider

Review Time: Avon Cosmic Nail Polish

12:42 PM


Karen, our amazing Avon rep, knows how picky I am about nail polish, so she challenged me to try Avon's new Cosmic Nail Polish. Challenge accepted!!

What the website says: 

Holographic pearl effect. 12 days of lasting color.

Cost:

$6 for .4 fl. oz.

First impression: 

I got the color Radiant. In the bottle it looks like a pretty normal silver. I really like the bottle shape, because its thin and easy to hold. (I usually hold the polish bottle between my fingers while painting my nails, but that's just my weird quirk.) 
The polish is nice and thin. That's a big deal because the secret to a long lasting mani is doing thin layers and allowing them to dry in between. Polish that is too thick doesn't allow for nice thin layers. 
Once I'm looking at the polish outside of the bottle, I'm seeing that its not silver at all, it's teeny tiny flecks of holographic sparkles. When it catches the light it's truly cosmic. Love!   

Application:

My first layer goes on nicely. It actually looks really nice with just one translucent layer. I can totally see myself doing it over a French mani! 
I immediately fall in love with the texture!!! It goes on like a dream! I like to do very thin layers, so I will swirl the brush to eliminate almost all of the polish on it, and then apply a thin layer. Lots of polished won't allow you to smooth a layer unless you have a decent amount of polish. What I mean is, I'm putting on my little layer of polish, and then I want to use the brush to smooth out the layer. Lots of polishes will streak and smear if I try to go back over it and smooth it. Not this one! It didn't streak or smear no matter how OCD I was about smoothing it!!!! Huge deal for me!! (If I'm being sane, I'll admit it didn't really need smoothing because it settled into a nice glass-smooth finish by itself. However, I'm weird and want to over smooth.) 
My first layer dried fast. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a quick dry polish, but it felt quick to me. I ended up applying 3 coats to get the coverage I wanted. I usually average 3-6 coats depending on the polish. For such thin polish, this covered really well, actually. 
When it's fully dried, it's got a beautiful silky finish. 

The 14 day challenge: 

Let me first tell you the two steps I always take to ensure my manicures last. First, when applying polish, I made sure to "wrap it" down and around the tips. Basically, you just need to make sure to paint the very tip of your nail and all the way under. This protects against chipping. 
Secondly, every few days I reapply a top coat. This has two functions, it refreshes the polish and keeps it shiny, and it protects the polish from wear. 
After taking these two precautions, most polish lasts me about a week. 

Day 5:

The polish is still going strong! I haven't had any chips or wear. 

Day 10:

Broke a nail, UGH! It broke like hugely, like the whole tip came right off. So... looking at my nails, they all look kinda stupid with one short one. As I'm sitting in my car in traffic, I bite all the tips off and file my nails short. This apparently has no effect on the nail polish, except its not wrapped around my tips anymore. So I leave it. 

Day 14:

Still going strong. Seriously. I have to admit I'm pretty impressed. 

Day 16:

Starting to chip. It's small chips that are repairable so I could probably get another couple days out of this mani with some quick repairs. 

Bottom line:

I'm sold. The application was a breeze, it has a great texture and finish. It's a beautiful cosmic color, perfect for fall! And it really lasted. For the price, I'm seriously impressed! I expect this quality from salon brands that cost twice as much (or more.)

1 comments

  1. I usually don't like sparkly nail polish, but you have me sold on this one. I will have to try it myself! Thanks Danielle. Your friendly AVON Representative online at http:/./youravon.com/kyaughn.

    ReplyDelete

MAUREEN



Maureen is a long time lover of beauty, fashion and all things girlie. She is lucky to have a bestie that loves beauty and silliness as much as she does! She is a licensed esthetician/makeup artist and loves it. All around, Maureen has a great life full of friends and family. Find Maureen on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.

DANIELLE



Danielle has a nail polish obsession, and its a bit out of control. She doesn't always have the cash to fund her addiction, so she's become an expert on thrifty nail tricks! She's lucky to have Maureen, her very best friend since kindergarten, and is engaged to her boyfriend of 7 years. Connect with Danielle on Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler.