#cosmetics

Trendy Tuesday: Ombre

8:47 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with Ombre.  I think that when it's done well, it can be really great looking. But when it's done not so great it can just look... well, bad.  There is one thing that is for sure, it's been around for what seems like forever and it doesn't seem to be losing any steam in the trend department.


There are all kinds of ways to wear the Ombre trend: from clothes, makeup, nails and everyone knows about hair. One of the easiest, and most fun way to wear Ombre is to use eye shadow, this YouTube tutorial is very helpful with that:


Another way to incorporate Ombre into your style is using clothing, whether it be a shirt or dress.  Some of my favorite clothing (as you all know) items are maxi dress, and colored jeans.  These are some of the favorite clothing options that have ombre.


Find Tank: Here
Find Skirt at Target: Here
Ombre Hair














One more way to wear the ombre trend is on your locks. I personally love the ombre hair trend, but it's not something that I have tried personally.  I just don't know how it would look on me.  If you have nice hair, I say go for it! The great part about changing your hair color is that it's pretty easy to change back if the result isn't something you like...
I love the Ombre trend and I hope it sticks around for a while.  What are some of your favorite ways to wear Ombre?





Another great option is to ombre your nails.  There's a lot of great tutorials for ombre nails out there, but I wanted to offer one thats simple and hard to mess up!

First off, gather your supplies.  I chose a light blue, and three purples, and a shimmer for on top.  Then grab a makeup sponge, basecoat and topcoat.
Start with clean nails, and apply a base. Let it dry, and apply a coat or two of your lightest color.  It doesn't need to be perfect, mine certainly wasn't!

You can use as many colors as you like, but I chose 4 so as to make a very gradual ombre effect.
Now you're going to take your next color (the second lightest) and paint it onto your sponge.  Paint a decently wide strip and don't paint straight lines! If you paint straight lines, you'll end up with lines of color instead of ombre.

Before applying color to your nails, blot that sponge! Blot it well! Its better to have too little color and do a second coat than to have too much color and end up with a stripe.
And then sponge the color onto your nail.  Because I'm using four colors, I sponged about 1/4 of the way down from the cuticle.  If you're using less colors, you'll adjust how much you're sponging.
You'll continue this with the rest of your colors, moving farther and farther down the nail.  Allow the colors to dry in between layers.  Otherwise your nails may take very long to dry all the way through. 
One thing most tutorials don't have you do is go back with your base color and sponge over your top colors. I find that on some nails I end up with a straight line from the first sponging.  I like to go back with the small tip of the sponge and blend better.











Finally, put a layer of shimmer, or glitter over the top.  This adds another dimension, and works to make the colors blend better.  Allow this last layer of nail polish to dry completely and then apply a coat or two of topcoat.
Your nails are going to be messy! You have a couple options, you can use a small makeup brush ($1 at Target) and pure acetone to clean around your nails, or you can sleep on it.  I do my nails before bed (obviously, make sure they are fully dry first!) and I find that while I sleep, most of the nail polish on my cuticles will come off on its own.  You might still need to clean them in the morning but it will be much easier.  







And the finished product: 

0 comments

MAUREEN



Maureen is a long time lover of beauty, fashion and all things girlie. She is lucky to have a bestie that loves beauty and silliness as much as she does! She is a licensed esthetician/makeup artist and loves it. All around, Maureen has a great life full of friends and family. Find Maureen on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.

DANIELLE



Danielle has a nail polish obsession, and its a bit out of control. She doesn't always have the cash to fund her addiction, so she's become an expert on thrifty nail tricks! She's lucky to have Maureen, her very best friend since kindergarten, and is engaged to her boyfriend of 7 years. Connect with Danielle on Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler.